As we welcome another Spring season, we would like to remind you to take some time to address a few items around your home!
Spring is here and we are ready for the warmth!
Check and Maintain your Sump Pump
- Beginning in April, switch bypass to summer operation to discharge to the outside of the house and make sure your exterior lines are clear of ice or any other debris.
- Hose on New Homes – Install a hose on your sump pump discharge pipe.
- Make sure to drain excess to the back of your lot or onto the street. This will help to NOT delay your landscaping/grading or setting of the air conditioning unit if needed.
Replace batteries in your smoke/carbon monoxide alarms and thermostat as needed
Check Caulking & Grout
- Caulking can dry and shrink with changes in humidity and temperature levels and settling of your home.
- Grout may also need periodic maintenance
- Both are available at local hardware stores
- Make sure you are ready for severe thunderstorms that come every spring & summer.
- Put downspouts in the ‘down’ position to drain water away from the house (as soon as weather permits).
- Check your Window Wells
- Check level of drain gravel – at least 2 inches below window level.
- Clean out any mud, dirt or debris that may prevent water from draining through pea rock.
- Check furnace filter – change if necessary.
- Clean coils on your A/C condenser on the outside of your home.
- Clean filter above microwave oven and stove.
- Vacuum refrigerator coils and vents.
- Clean exhaust fans in bathrooms.
- Check clothes dryer vent for lint build up that could be a fire hazard.
- Clean filters and center core.
- Turn off for the summer months.
- Use a dehumidifier in summer months to help with humidity levels.